"The soul of a child, as it reaches out toward understanding, has need of the treasures accumulated by the human species through the centuries. We do injury to a child if we bring it up in a narrow Christianity, which prevents it from ever becoming capable of perceiving that there are treasures of the purest gold to be found in non-Christian civilizations. Laical [secular] education does an even greater injury to children. It covers up these treasures and those of Christianity as well." Simone Weil

Sunday, March 7, 2010

What we are reading now

I just finished reading Story Time by Edward Bloor. I found the author's take on standardized testing to be interesting and slightly disturbing. Then again I find standardized tests to be disturbing on their own. Now I am reading The Evolution Of Calpurnia Tate by Jaqueline Kelly. It is refreshingly original as few books for this age group are. I am enjoying it, myself, even though I picked it up for Meredith. For myself I am reading several biographies of Albert Einstein.

Meredith has finished The Cartoon Guide to Genetics by Larry Gonick. She has not moved onto The Cartoon Guide to Chemistry, but she would like to read more on the topic of genetics. She is also reading Anne of Green Gables. She was reading Mossflower by Brian Jaques, but put it on hold when I asked her to read Anne of Green Gables. I didn't realize she was working on something, or I would have waited to give her something new.

Matthew is reading Atilla The Hun Leader of the Barbaian Hordes by Sean Stewart Price. He isn't reading anything else right now. I told him that I wanted him to do a review of this book and I think he is trying to give it his full attention.

Meg is reading several short readers. Some are Bob Books. Some are phonics readers. Today she worked on a book that had the long e sound entitled Neat Feet.

James has discovered books by Todd Parr. His favorite right now is Dos and Don'ts.

We have just finished Fablehaven Secret of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon Mull. The next book in the series is due out later this month. It is on our long list to read. Until then we will be reading George's Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking. We are also reading several poems this month. Usually I read a certain style of poetry or stick to one topic, but during April we read it all. It is a fun month for reading aloud.

No comments:

Post a Comment