"The soul of a child, as it reaches out toward understanding, has need of the treasures accumulated by the human species through the centuries. We do injury to a child if we bring it up in a narrow Christianity, which prevents it from ever becoming capable of perceiving that there are treasures of the purest gold to be found in non-Christian civilizations. Laical [secular] education does an even greater injury to children. It covers up these treasures and those of Christianity as well." Simone Weil

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The S word

1)I want a natural approach to socialization for my kids. I don't want to seek out friends for my children. I want them to find them on their own.

2)I don't want to limit my children to playing with kids the same age and gender as my kids. That doesn't seem natural to me. My friends aren't all the same age as me, or gender. As adults we don't limit ourselves to only having friends that are exactly like us.

3)Diversity is a beautiful thing. It makes life interesting and it keeps a relationship exciting.

4)Kids need to learn how to not get along for a while and then how to work things out. It is a life skill. I'm not talking about a bully/victim situation here. Sometimes you do need to just walk away from a relationship, but you will never know how to identify a toxic relationship if all relationships are viewed as toxic.

5)I have a friend. We don't agree on everything. We are not the same age. We do not have the same number of children and our children are not the same ages. We get along and our kids do, too. They don't get along perfectly. I enjoy watching them navigate the bumps that they encounter, though. It helps them all to grow as people. It helps them to learn how to be tolerant of others, a lesson that many adults could use.

No comments:

Post a Comment