"The soul of a child, as it reaches out toward understanding, has need of the treasures accumulated by the human species through the centuries. We do injury to a child if we bring it up in a narrow Christianity, which prevents it from ever becoming capable of perceiving that there are treasures of the purest gold to be found in non-Christian civilizations. Laical [secular] education does an even greater injury to children. It covers up these treasures and those of Christianity as well." Simone Weil

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Socialization 101

I spent the evening today visiting with a lady from our Unitarian church.  She is awesome.  I love talking with her and could spend hours doing so, but I had my kids with me.  I was nervous about taking them into a new house.  While we do get out of our house and go places, people's homes are not usually on the list.  When we do go to houses, it is usually the home of a friend that has children for my kids to play with.  There are toys everywhere and the house resembles ours.  The friend I was visiting with is a mom to 4 kids, but they are grown kids.  I really didn't know what to expect. 

The kids got into the house and, to my horror, began to wander.  Our hostess said it was fine with her if they explored as long as I was okay with it.  Relief washed over me.  There were a few toys here and there that belonged to her grandchildren.  She had a drum in her house.  There were amazing trinkets and treasures.  I was just so happy to get to talk with this amazing woman.  Maybe we talked too long, because after a while my kids began to get restless and started to explore a bit too much.  I saw my son open a cupboard, and had to ask him to leave the drawers and cupboards closed.  I was embarrassed, but it was a learning experience for us all.  I am so glad that my friend was understanding, but can see that this is one area that my kids need to work on.  The only way they can do this is by us visiting more people.  Socialization 101?  Just another lesson to teach for this mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment